Registration now open for Turning Designer Pens Classes (WTPEN-101)
Selecting from a variety of several different pen styles and wood (or acrylic) blanks, participants will have fun choosing and creating their own designer pen(s) in this beginners’ Turning Designer Pens Workshop.With a separate lathe for each participant, the emphasis of this project based workshop will be on safety, fun, and the correct way to use woodturning tools and equipment. Various turning techniques will be demonstrated, discussed and practiced with the one or two day course culminating in the creation of a unique take-home project (or projects).
No prior woodturning experience is necessary.
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada. The City of Owen Sound is located on the southern shores of Georgian Bay (2 1/2 hours north of Toronto). If you are from out of town, please click here for information about places to stay and things to do while your are here.
Both one and two day versions of this course are available:
- The one day version of this course includes a brief overview of general woodturning techniques, but focuses primarily on the skills specific to pen turning. Students will have an opportunity to make a practice piece (usually a key chain) prior to completing their take-home designer pen project. No prior woodturning experience is necessary. The cost for the one day course is $150.
- The two day version of this course includes a more in-depth overview of general woodturning techniques, with a strong focus on the skills specific to pen turning. Students will have an opportunity to make a practice piece (usually key chain) prior to completing two or three designer pen take-home projects. No prior woodturning experience is necessary. The cost for the two day course is $250.
- See cancellation policy at the bottom of this page.
- Payment of course fees is due at time of registration.
- Additional project kits and supplies are available for purchase during the workshop.
- Upon completion of the Pen Turning Projects course, students can arrange for and purchase additional half-day or evening sessions to make additional project kits. The cost per additional session is $55 (or 3 sessions for $150) and includes hands-on coaching and the use of all required tools, equipment, and accessories, plus all the materials needed to create one take-home projects.
The one day program is approximately 7 hours and the two day program is approximately 14 hours in length. Both weekend and weekday courses are available.
Individual attention and hands on instruction are essential components of the program and class size is limited to 2 participants maximum.
- No prior woodturning experience necessary
- Insurance waiver required (provided)
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age
- You must agree to observe shop safety rules and guidelines
Upon successful completion of this program, you will:
- understand woodturning safety principals
- be comfortable working with basic woodturning tools
- be comfortable operating a basic wood lathe
- understand basic pen design principals
- be able to turn basic designer pen projects
- have fun woodturning
The program can vary from session to session depending on the needs of the individual participants. In general, the course is structured as follows:
One Day Pen Turning Workshop
- Introduction: Topics such as design, technique, tools and equipment, wood selection, finishing, and tool sharpening are broached to help raise your comfort level and to answer any “burning questions”. These topics will be addressed more thoroughly throughout the course.
- Safety: Short, but important review and discussion of:
- general workshop safety
- safety around woodturning tools, equipment and finishes
- wood toxicity
- Spindle Turning Basics: At the root of pen turning are some basic spindle turning techniques. In this part of the course we will discuss, demonstrate and practice some basic cuts using a variety of tools.
- Pen Turning Basics: Here you will learn and practice (hands-on) how to use a small wood lathe and pen mandrel, as well as spindle gouges, skew chisels, and scrapers. First using a practice hardwood turning blank you will make a key chain, and later using a premium piece of wood or acrylic, your will turn your designer pen take-home project:
- selecting and preparing your pen blank
- designing a simple pen profile
- roughing down a wood or acrylic pen blank
- performing delicate shaping cuts
- sanding and finishing techniques
- assembling your wood or acrylic blank and pen components into a finished designer pen
Two Day Pen Turning Workshop
The two day program follows the same format as the one day program and includes all the same activities . . . plus:
- A more in-depth look at spindle basics with activities aimed at developing a broader range of turning skills
- More learning, practice and fun
- More time at the lathe = an opportunity to turn two or more* key chain practice projects and two or more* designer pen projects.
* Note: The two day course includes the wood or acrylic blanks and kits required to make 2 key chain and 2 designer pen project. Additional project kits and supplies are available for purchase during the workshop.
Each participant will be provided with the following tools, equipment and accessories for use during this workshop:
- Wood lathe
- Assorted wood turning tools
- Safety glasses
- Dust mask
- Practice blank (1 for one day course / 2 for two day course)
- Premium wood or acrylic project blanks (1 for one day course / 2 for two day course)
- Key Chain Kits (components to make 1 key chain for one day course / 2 for two day course)
- Designer Pen Kits (components to make 1 pen for one day course / 2 for two day course)
- Non-toxic wood finish
- Wood turning is inherently messy and a lot of wood dust and shavings will be generated. Please dress appropriately. (No open toed shoes please.)
This program is about learning safe practices and having fun with woodturning. There is no formal evaluation process.
About the Facilitator
Born in Montreal Quebec, Irwin has lived most of his life in Southern Ontario and has called Owen Sound home since 2005. He started turning wood in 1995, and has been teaching the craft since 2003. Largely self-taught, Irwin looks to combine both art and function in the pieces he designs. Over the years Irwin has been a member of several local, regional, and international woodturning associations, and currently maintains a professional membership in the American Association of Woodturners. Examples of Irwin’s work can be found in shops, galleries and exhibits across North America, and in private collections worldwide. In addition to his woodturning experience, he is a graduate of the Centennial College Teacher of Adults program, and has previously taught Woodturning 101 for Lee Valley Tools Ltd in Toronto.
What Do Former Students Think ?
Click here to read what some of our former students have said about these workshops & courses.
Now booking for 2012 dates
- 1 or 2 day course: April 26 &/or 27, 2012 (Thursday – Friday) » registration closed
- 1 or 2 day course: May 17 &/or 18, 2012 (Thursday – Friday) » registration closed
- 1 or 2 day course: June 2 &/or 3, 2012 (Saturday – Sunday) » registration closed
- 2 day course: July 17 & 18, 2012 (Tue & Wed) » registration closed
- 1 day intermediate course: July 26, 2012 (Thursday) » only 1 spot left for this session
- 1 or 2 day course: August 4 &/or 5, 2012 (Saturday – Sunday)
- 1 day intermediate course: September 2, 2012 (Sunday)
- 1 or 2 day course: December 8 &/or 9, 2012 (Saturday – Sunday)
- contact us at email@example.com (or 519-270-5531) to arrange other dates
You can register and pay for this program using the link below.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (or 519-270-5531) for more information or to book alternate dates.
Click here (or use button above) to register
Alternatively, you can download a PDF application and return your registration by mail. Please note however, that your registration cannot be confirmed until the completed registration and course fees are received. Click here to download course registration form (161kb PDF)
Cancellation Policy: We hope you won’t need to cancel your registration, but should it be necessary, please note the following:
- Workshop/course fees will be fully refunded if your cancellation is made at least 7 days prior to the start of your workshop/course.
- Workshop/course fees, less a $40 administration fee will be fully refunded if your cancellation is made less than 7 days prior to the start of your workshop/course.